What is a bone density scan?
A bone density scan measures the amount of bone mineral content in certain areas of the body. Our advanced fan beam technology measures the spine and both hips. Your bone mineral density (BMD) is then compared with reference standards to determine if you are at risk for fractures. Low bone density is usually caused by osteoporosis resulting in reduced bone strength or "brittle bones."
Bone density scanning works by measuring the amount of x-rays that are absorbed by the bones in your body. The two x-ray energies allow the machine to differentiate between bone and soft tissue density, giving a very accurate estimation of bone density. Our radiologist will produce a report for your physician based on the bone density measurement and your medical history. Bone density scanning has proven to be one of the most accurate methods of measuring bone density. It also uses the least amount of radiation and is less expensive than other methods.
What can I expect during a bone density scan?
Your exam may be the easiest medical test you will experience. Certified technologists with specialty training in bone densitometry will conduct the exam. You will be positioned on the exam table on your back while a scanner passes over one area of your skeleton, usually the lower spine and hip. You will not feel anything during the exam. Lie still. Breathe normally. Rest comfortably.
SERVICING: WESTCHESTER, ARDSLEY, DOBBS FERRY, HASTING ON HUDSON, IRVINGTON, TARRYTOWN, SLEEPY YONKERS, NORTHERN BRONX, GREENBURGH, HARTSDALE, EDGEMONT, SCARSDALE, ELMSFORD, MOUNT PLEASANT, OSSINING, MOUNT KISCO, BRIARCLIFF MANOR, WHITE PLANES, VALHALA, MT. VERNON, PELHAM, PELHAM MANOR, NEW ROCHELLE, MAMARONECK, RYE, TUCKAHOE, BRONXVILLE, EASTCHESTER, PORT CHESTER, LARCHMONT
© 2012 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
- The only local Radiology Center with an Open MRI to prevent claustrophobia
- The only Radiology Center with highly skilled physicians which specializes in MRI exams
- The only Radiology Center with night appointments
- The only Radiology Center, which welcomes walk-ins with no appointments
- We utilize the latest PAC/RIS System for advanced reading, interpretation, and transfer of performed tests.
- 24 HR Test Results
- Transportation Available
- Affordable healthcare services
- Highly professional team of physicians, technologists, and support staff